Every Time I See Your Picture I Cry

Posted by | Conversations at the Edge | Posted on | April 24, 2008

Thursday, April 24, 6pm | Daniel Barrow in person!

Daniel Barrow, Every Time I See Your Picture I Cry (2008). Image courtesy of the artist.

The overhead projector takes center stage in Winnipeg artist Daniel Barrow’s darkly whimsical “manual animation” performances. Layering and drawing directly on a series of Mylar transparencies, Barrow combines his projected illustrations with video, original music, and live narration to spin gothic tales of beauty and despair. His newest performance, Every Time I See Your Picture I Cry, chronicles the story of a trash collector with a vision to create a kind of independent yearbook for his city, reconstructing each resident’s history from the refuse he collects. His cataloging efforts are derailed, however, when a lunatic begins to hunt down and kill the subject of each entry in his book, forcing the collector to look inward and examine his own story. 2008, Daniel Barrow, Canada, ca. 60 min, various formats.

More

Daniel Barrow’s blog

Daniel Barrow at Three Walls

Comments