. Conversations at the Edge (CATE)

March 30 – L.A. Rebellion

Posted by | Raven Munsell | Posted on | March 29, 2013

Saturday, March 30, 12:30 p.m. | ENCORE SCREENING

Still from I & I: An African Allegory (Ben Caldwell, 1979). Image courtesy of the artist and UCLA Film & Television Archive.

From the early 1970s through the late 1980s, a group of African and African American filmmakers emerged from UCLA’s film school with a body of provocative and visionary works.  Referred to now as the L.A. Rebellion, this group would have a radical impact on black cinematic practice and alternative filmmaking in the U.S.

Presented in association with UCLA Film & Television Archive and supported in part by grants from the Getty Foundation and the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, the L.A. Rebellion series is curated by Allyson Nadia Field, Jan-Christopher Horak, Shannon Kelley, and Jacqueline Stewart. This screening is generously supported by the Black Cinema House. Upcoming screenings will take place at the University of Chicago’s Logan Center and Northwestern University’s Block Museum.